Thursday, October 26, 2006

Halloween Fudge


I have some new taste testers - I mean friends - coming in to town for a YALSA meeting this weekend. So am I making a few favorite things, like my chocolate chip muffins, but I had to try something weird - I mean new, too.
From the Better Homes and Gardens Cookies and Candies (1966) book, here's Peanut Butter Fudge:
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk
1/2 pint jar marshmallow creme (1 cup)
1 cup chunk-style peanut butter
1 6 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla

Butter sides of heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it combine sugar and milk. Stir over medium heat till sugar dissolves and mixture boils. Cook to soft-ball stage, or 234 degrees. (Now, this took forever, so I jacked up the heat to hurry it along and surprisingly nothing bad happened.) Remove from heat; quickly add marshmallow creme, peanut butter, chocolate and vanilla; stir just till blended. Pour into buttered 9x9x2 pan. Store 1-inch squares while warm; cut when firm.
Now this looked like something you wouldn't want to eat while in the pan, so I added the Halloween sprinkles. Really, there is no baked good that cannot be enhanced with holiday sprinkles, so this worked out well.

This morning I went to two used book stores, and scored some really weird titles. One is the BHG Gourmet Recipes Made Easy from 1980. The cover indicates that it has "Over 170 step-by-step photos to take the mystery out of preparing gourmet foods." This is good news indeed. Readers of this blog know that many elements of cooking and reading are mysteries to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As one of the "taste testers," let me assure you-all that the peanut butter fudge was very good. But the peanut butter cookies were even better.

I look forward to reading Amy's blog as it's almost like talking with her. It reminds me of comfort food--when I need a little dose of that good feeling, I just read one of her blogs.

And I want to add a book tip--title is The Spice Box by Lou Jane Temple. Historical mystery about a cook at a wealthy home in New York. Just started, but it looks as though ox-tail soup will be her first dinner to cook. Historical tidbits are fascinating. And there are recipes which means I'll have to send the book to Amy, though I'm not sure pickled beets are on her repertoire.
Pam