Saturday, November 11, 2006

Back To Baking



I am hosting a holiday charity cookie exchange in a few weeks. How it works is that everyone brings cookies to exchange, along with copies of the recipes. Every person pays $1 or less to each recipe they want and the food goes to a food pantry. I also provide other foods, a hot drink bar, etc.

I also like to show off by making lots of types of cookies. I pulled out several specific holiday and cookie cookbooks today, and even a few specific Christmas Cookie books. None of them appealed, or I have done them before.


I pulled out my faithful Farm Journal's Country Cookbook again. While this turned out more cake-like than a cookie, it is delicious. I don't think I'll use it for the party though as I want actual holiday cookies.

Apple Fudge Squares
2 1oz. squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2/3 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sifted flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped pecans (I skipped these, my life is nutty enough.)

Melt together chocolate and shortening. Blend in sugar, eggs, applesauce and vanilla.
Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts. (or not) Spread in greased 8X8X2" pan. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 35 to 40 minutes. Makes 16 (2") squares.

No comments: