Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Putting on the Spritz

One would think that the prospect of 20 relatives descending on my house tomorrow would send me into a fit of cleaning and preparing. Not so! I decided we need cookies tomorrow, and my son and I made Spritz holiday cookies with the 'cooky press.' Yes, that's 'cooky.' From the 1963 famous Betty Crocker 'Cooky Book.' My library actually has a copy of this in the reference section. Most recipes I see in magazines now are based on ones from this book. I even saw one of these recipes win an award in a newspaper contest last year - I couldn't believe it!

Last night, I was reading Good Housekeeping (But Amy, you ask, what about the 8 mysteries you need to read and review by Friday?) and Kelly Ripa in an interview mentioned that she made like 640 cookies last year with the press. So we decided to beat her. Just kidding! My insanity does, surprisingly, have some bounds.

We actually made about 6 dozen from one batch.

Spritz
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. flavoring - I used Vanilla
2 1/4 cups Flour, not self-rising

Heat oven to 400. Mix butter, sugar, egg, salt and flavoring thoroughly. Work in flour. Put dough through cooky press on ungreased baking sheet in desired shapes. Bake 6 - 9 minutes, or until set but not brown.

We made red pointsettias, green trees, yellow stars and blue snowmen.
And then we cleaned like crazy around the house. Good thing I ordered the meal already done from a local specialty food store for tomorrow. Oh yes, and I read 1.5 mysteries today. More on these soon.
Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Amy! I hope someone is making you something as tasty as the treats you feature on your site. The spritz look divine. You've got me in the holiday spirit. I've got my childhood copy of that same Cooky Book. Must pull it out!
Anne in Iowa