Friday, December 08, 2006

Merry Eating



These are two in a series of 21 I purchased on my antiquing last week. It indicates that it printed in 1981, but I think the series is originally from the early 70's. I pulled out the first as I was asked to make a salad for the department holiday party next week. I was thinking of chopping various salad fixings, putting them in baggies and tossing them at the party. But then I pulled out this book. Look at that nasty salad on the cover. What kind of mold made that, and why would anyone spend the time? There is even a two page spread of this one in the middle of the cookbook pamphlet thing. It is a 'Sour-Cream Chicken Mousse,' followed by 'Layered Tongue-and-cheese Salad Mold.' Gross.

The second picture is the Book of Merry Eating. I think if you have a glass of that punch on the cover, you would be fairly Merry. It has 7 pages + of fruitcakes and glazes and lots more.

But I'm going to give you a recipe for Peanut Butter Sighs instead today. This is from the Recipe Hall of Fame Quick and Easy Cookbook again, and can be done with the microwave. Warning: This treat is absolutely addictive. I was forced to put it in the freezer, so I would have some for my friends for gifts. As I mentioned to a friend yesterday, though, what I really need is a freezer in my shed where it would really be a pain to get to.

1 (8 oz.) jar natural peanut butter, no salt (right, I don' t even know what this is - I used JIF as it was ON SALE)
1 cup margarine (I have used butter according to what I have on hand, but it does need at least some margarine)
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 (12 oz.) package chocolate chips

Place peanut butter and margarine in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover with wax paper and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, until margarine and peanut butter melt. Blend together. Add powdered sugar, stirring to mix. (OK, I do this until it becomes pretty firm, it might not be exactly a pound.) Press smoothly into the bottom of an 8X8 pan.

Place chocolate chips in a flat dish (too many pans to wash; I put them in a glass Pyrex measuring thing that can go in the dishwasher) to melt on HIGH 1.5 minutes. Spread over top. Cool in refrigerator and cut into squares. Makes 45 squares, or 10 if you use Amy's size portions...

How can you make this into a holiday cookie? Red and Green sprinkles before the chocolate has chilled. I brought this to a work thing a while ago, and they ended up putting it in the staff newsletter as it was so popular. You could put Halloween sprinkles on this and no one would care.

I started a bunch of books I couldn't get through this week - I think it's the season. Who is reading or baking something good?

No comments: