Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Podcasting, or Conversing with Your Computer

I spent a great weekend in the WI Dells, and when my son was asleep in the car my husband and I traded off going antiquing. This is a first for me - I did not buy a single cookbook. I had my hands on a couple Farm Journal baking ones, but they were priced very high. On occasion I take a cookbook no matter the price - like with the Southern Heritage set, but half the fun of collecting is to get them for under $5 each.

However, this morning I was greeted in my office by a shopping bag filled with old, valuable vintage cookbooks from a lovely coworker. She is cleaning out her house, and mentioned that she needs more, and may even need her husband's help carrying them. !!! It's been hard to do my work with this bag sitting next to me, and I have a freelance project due tomorrow. It will be a late night! Does anyone think the freelance project will actually get done?

Our next subject for work is podcasting. I found a few cooking ones, but really with cooking you need to see what you are doing, or maybe that's just me! I listened to the Kankakee, IL podcasts as I have done for a few months now. I do like their author program podcasts. I found another good author one, this time mostly mysteries, but a few bestsellers like Lee Child, Ann Brashares, Jasper Fforde also: www.eyeonbooks.com. I also found some teen ones from searching such as the popular Cheshire PL teen series at www.chesirelib.org/teens. I listened to the most recent episode put on by their teen podcasting group, and it included a high school poetry reading. I am not a big poetry fan, but this was truly excellent. I also like the teen book reviews at the Thomas Ford PL in Western Springs, IL: www.fordlibrary.org/yareviews. I can talk about a great teen book to high school kids all day long, but it is so much better -and more interesting for them - when they hear it from their peers. The teen review on Eldest is great - detailed, opinions, everything you need in a book review.

We also had to read two articles on how libraries got started with podcasting. One was very helpful with technical detail on how to get started doing podcasts of library services. One was about the Chesire group and how they appeal to teens. I have started recording some of my anime group discussions for podcasts, but I really think that my teens will want vodcasting if I want to draw them into programs or new services with these podcasts.

There is a podcast of me on the YALSA blog from a couple weeks ago talking about being Fiscal Officer and how to get involved. It's long, and I was cringing listening to me telling some things I likely should not have - but really, if anyone really listens to that whole thing, they should have some kind of surprising things in there for their effort, or to keep them awake.

Probably I should do vodcasts of my baking and cooking mishaps. I can call it the "What Not to Do" Cooking Lessons.

As an update on the Career Romances for Young Moderns: several staff members here are enjoying Jinny Williams, and we just got "Nancy Runs the Bookmobile". Get this - it is from a University Library. It actually had a stamped date in back. I don't know what is scarier - that we are all spending so much time on these books or that it is still at the University Library in Missouri. Too funny.

I'm getting some Michael Black and Dave Case books to read for a program in a couple weeks here. We have a filled registration author program for the first time I can remember. They are doing crime scene analysis as they are both policemen, and that is part of it, but I think their books are growing in popularity. Plus Michael Black did a great Elvis one called Freeze Me Tender. I've met both gentlemen at the Love is Muder conference www.loveismurder.net and this will be a great program.

No comments: