Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why Blenders Should Not Be Used With Peas

I'm back to the McCall's series, and frankly, the cover was too gross to print here, and that's saying something! This one is the Family Style Cook Book, and I found a few scary recipes in the 'Lunches to Carry' (as opposed to?) chapter.

Blender Pea Soup
We've started feeding the baby foods. Have you ever seen the strained peas for babies? I wouldn't touch it, unless I needed a gross 'guess what this is' food for a Halloween party activity. So Baby O will not be having these. Moving on.
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 cups chicken broth
1 chicken-bouillon cube
1 cup milk
3 cups fresh peas, cooked and drained
1 tablespoon curry powder (optional) (What on earth?)

1. Slowly melt butter in large saucepan.
2. Remove from heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Add broth and cube, bring to boiling, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
3. Place milk in blender along with peas and curry powder.
I think I can stop right there. If someone reading this really wants to make this one, write me.

Should I add the 'Peanut-Butter 'N' Bacon Sandwiches' next time? (and why is the N in quotes in this cookbook?)

I've taken on some new freelance projects, including a proposal I'm working on with authors Mary Welk and Margot Justes. Mary has a great series with nurse Caroline Rhodes and Margot's excellent first romantic suspense, A Hotel in Paris, came out in June. Both of these ladies have feisty characters and good amounts of humor. Neither, I'm sure, would require curry powder in their soup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THAT is truly disgusting and no human or any species deserves that...ever!

'N' is in the quotes because it is the shortened version of and missing the 'nd and the 'n' (the a and the d and when it is in the middle it should not be capitalized making it 'n'

Hey, you aked. LOL

Karen
http://karensyed.blogspot.com