Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cooking by the Calendar


This gem is from 1962 and I believe the intent was that you should follow the suggested menus and write in menus for some days too. Because it is a thicker book, I couldn't get it straight on my scanner, so I know the picture is a bit crooked.

For January 28, a quote is provided from Oliver Wendell Holmes: "Man has his will, but woman has her way." Rules to live by. I may put this on my husband's pillow.

A suggested 'Ladies' Luncheon' is provided: Turkey Divan, Celery Curls, Radish Roses, Pickle Fans, Hot Sesame Seed Rolls, Orange Baked Alaskas. Intriguing. Where's the wine? I wondered about pickle fans, but could find nothing else about these in the volume. Apparently this was a common term. Tips are also provided on bedding sizes for "When Headed for a White Sale."

Another menu is provided for January on "Supper Before the Basketball Game." Few folks say supper around here, but I the term, unlike the pickle fans. Here's the menu: Ham-Onion-Broccoli Casserole, Raspberry Gelatin Salad with Peaches, Favorite Pickles (I'm sensing a theme.), Lemon-filled Lemon Velvet Cake

On the same page, is "Broccoli With Broiled Mayonnaise": "Quick and easy dress-up for a cooked green vegetable." (Why does it need one?)

Place 4-6 servings of cooked broccoli in oven-proof dish that may be used for serving. Beat 1 egg white until stiff but not dry; fold in 1 cup mayonnaise. Spread mixture over broccoli and broil until delicately browned, about 1 min.

Um, salmonella?

I've been beefing up (pun intended) this blog due to a great class I'm taking from Dani Greer at Blog Book Tours, and saw to my delight and horror, that folks are finding this blog by word searches by food type or for a type of recipe. This is great - welcome all new readers. But - I worry that these folks are looking for real food help and recipes. So I may actually put some more shall we say relevant recipes up here too interspersed among the prunes and Hawaiian fare. Not too many, though, don't worry.

No comments: