Thursday, January 22, 2009

Golden Potato Bake


A few more samples before I move on to another cookbook. Good and Easy has some tasty samples, too, and this picture cracked me up. The pot, the trivet, the cloth - straight out of 1971 even if I hadn't mentioned the publication year of the book. At least there is no plaid carpeting on this one.
1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
4 to 6 medium potatoes, pared
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
Heat oven to 375. Mix cornflake crumbs and salt. Brush potatoes with butter; coat with crumbs. Arrange in ungreased baking pan, 9X9X2 inches. Bake uncovered 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
I usually microwave potatoes, but this is actually looking appealing to me. Or maybe I need to stay away from my vintage cookbooks for a few days!
One more gem:
Creole Wieners
8 slices bacon, diced
3 cups minced onion
1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 pound frankfurters
Fry bacon and onion in large skillet until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper.
Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in frankfurters. Cover tightly; simmer 15 minutes.
Menu plan: rice, green beans, Perfection Salad and Chocolate-Cherry Parfait.
How many of you have 3 side dishes per weekday meals? Do drinks count? (in my house this is water and juice rather than wine...)
I'm reading titles from folks I am going to be on a panel with at Love is Murder, my favorite mystery and romance conference in February. One person I'm actually rereading is Luisa Buehler. Luisa has been publishing her Grace & Harry mystery series with Echelon Press and the first has now been picked up by Harlequin also. She is a lovely person and a consummate professional. Her mysteries have great characters and plenty of edgy action along with historical detail. Luisa also has a wonderful story, also part of the series, in the Missing anthology.

No comments: