Friday, February 13, 2009

Elegant Loaf?


Thanks to my friend Veronica for sending this fabulous picture and quote! I'm sure none of you will be surprised to know that Pleasantville is one of my favorite movies...
On to more Valentine's Day recipes. This is from The Holiday Cookbook: 220 festive recipes for every holiday. It's #124 in a pamphlet cookbook series from 1955, The Culinary Arts Institute. The first item under St. Valentine's Day is "Elegant Chicken Loaf", which I think is an oxymoron.
Put through food chopper enough cooked chicken to yield 2 1/4 cups ground chicken, 1 1/4 cups ground mushrooms, 1 1/4 cups ground toasted almonds. (Why the almonds? Aren't they pretty small already?)
Prepare 1 1/2 cups Medium White Sauce (another page, I couldn't be bothered)
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten. Add to sauce, stirring vigorously.
Stir into sauce the chicken, mushrooms, almonds and 1 1/2 cups soft break crumbs, 1/4 cup chopped pimiento, well drained
Add a mixture of 2 teaspoons salt (get the defib again), 1/2 tsp. monosodium glutamate (the old favorite), 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. paprika.
Beat until rounded peaks are formed: 3 egg whites.
Spread beaten egg whites over chicken mixture and fold together. (I'm serious, that's what it says.)
Gently turn chicken mixture into pan and set in boiling water bath. Bake at 350 about 1 hr., 10 minutes.
Now why on earth would someone want this for Valentine's Day? Also, a variation of Hot Salmon Loaf is provided. Nothing says love like molded meat.

2 comments:

Home Deconomics said...

Love that pic! Made me laugh out loud.

Hey, I'm making Sloppy Joes for my sweetie on V-Day (his favorite food, what can I say). Maybe I should make mine "elegant" too!

Amy said...

I'd love to see an elegant Sloppy Joes meal...