Monday, February 23, 2009

Partytime




I can't believe how many folks have been writing me here, on my Facebook site and by email to tell me of tasty variations for the sandwich loaf. It's so great. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make one of these and photograph it. I will do one filling, though, and I don't care how many of you wrote me about this - I won't hand crank ham for ham salad!
These pages still from the 1958 Good Housekeeping Breads and Sandwiches address ways to set up the bread for fancy sandwiches. Certainly they are wasteful, but who can resist little sandwiches? I could, however, resist the following recipe that went with these:
Dried Beef and Cheese
In double boiler top, over direct heat, simmer 1 No. 2 can tomatoes and 1 tablesp. minced onion till cooked down to 1/2 cup. Grind 1/4 lb. process Cheddar cheese and 1/4 lb. dried beef; add to tomato. Place over hot water; cook, stirring, till well blended. Stir in 1/4 cup butter or margarine, salt and pepper to taste and 1 lightly eaten egg. Cook, stirring 1 min. Pour into jar; cool; refrigerate.
Um, then what? Leave it on the doorstep of someone you don't like, ring the bell, and run?
Another suggestions is Cannibal Sandwich. Folks, don't try this one at home:
Place layer of chopped raw beef (chuck or round) seasoned with salt, pepper, or minced onion on slice of white or rye bread. Nice with dill pickles or chowchow.
Not safe, and what is chowchow? I don't think I want to know!
Meet some more Missing authors at their blogs today:
The lovely Luisa Buehler of the Grace Marsden series wrote about her family history after WWII.
Marvelous Mary Welk writes about her take on her Caroline Rhodes short story in which a family secret is found in an attic that only results in questions to seek.
Evelyn David, which is actually a partnership of two authors, wrote about it on their co-blog with other mystery authors at http://thestilettogang.blogspot.com/ I have had the pleasure of meeting the Southern half of ED and the northern is going to put a fun recipe here soon in a guest blog.
These are fun blogs at any rate, and all contributed something really different to the anthology.

No comments: