Friday, March 27, 2009

Dessert Cookbook


Originality seems to elude this vintage cookbook, with the title of Dessert Cookbook. It is from Family Circle, 1972. While I wouldn't say I wouldn't eat this, I am unsure of what the foil ads to the setting. And why scoop a pile of ice cream into one big bowl? How would anyone enjoy the hot fudge at the bottom that way? Unless that is one person's serving. Who am I kidding? I could eat that...
Here is the caption:
Ice cream forms the base for many frozen desserts (amen). And what better than ice cream balls drizzled with a rich chocolate sauce.
Several variety of sundaes are explored here, including Calypso Sundaes, 'a taste of the West Indies'. Really?
1 can (about 1 pound) pear halves, drained
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple
1/2 cup mint jelly (uhoh)
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 pints lemon sherbet
Maraschino cherries.
1. Break up pear halves with spoon in medium size saucepan; add pineapple and juice and mint jelly; simmer 10 minutes, or until blended and slightly thickened; add lemon juice; chill. That is thoroughly disgusting.
2. Spoon over sherbet in serving dishes; top with maraschino cherries.
In what part of the West Indies do they eat mint jelly?
I already see about three more sundae recipes that make me wonder how this one got published...

2 comments:

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Amy, I just started Vintage Recipe Thursday for those of us who love old cookbooks. You are invited to join us. Stop by my blog to see the details.

Joy
Joy Of Desserts
http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com

http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2009/03/announcing-new-carnival-vintage-recipe.html

Lobster Gram Recipe Blog said...

Perhaps the tin foil is so that the aliens can't read what the ice cream is thinking? That set up is a little beyond me.