Friday, April 03, 2009

Easter Antipasto


This is from The Complete Holiday Cookbook, from Favorite Recipes Press. It looks like late 60's.
Several Easter menus are provided, and this one goes with Cold Easter Supper. Here's the menu:
Easter Antipasto
Cold Cut Platter
Potato Chips (I'm serious)
Celery and Carrot Sticks
Butter Cream Easter Eggs
So stop worrying about a fancy Easter supper - this is all you need. I am not even putting the Easter Antipasto recipe up here, as it involves artichokes and dyed yellow cream cheese. Instead, let's focus on :
Butter Cream Easter Eggs
1/2 pound plus 1 tablespoon butter
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
3 boxes confectioners' sugar
8 oz. bitter or semisweet chocolate
1 2-inch square wax
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Cream 1/2 pound butter and cream cheese; gradually blend in sugar. Shape into small eggs. Coo for about 1 hour. Melt chocolate, remaining butter, wax and vanilla over hot water. Dip eggs in mixture and allow to cool. Yield: 90 - 100 eggs. (!!) I don't even want to think about how many I could eat.
I actually think you could make these into larger eggs and pour that hot chocolate over them, maybe turning once or something. I'd love to see how 90 - 100 eggs comes out of one 8 oz. block of cream cheese, but no pictures are provided.
I guest blog every other Thursday on Teen-Seen, and the theme this week is gaming. Check it out if you haven't already. It is part of a group blog for Quake the youth and young adult line of Echelon Press, who published Missing. I like their line of books for younger readers.

No comments: