Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Chiffon Cake


I've mentioned before that this book got me started on collecting vintage cookbooks. It is quotes and recipes from many different pamphlet cookbooks from the 20's - 50's. The writing is excellent, and the recipes are grouped into fun categories, like Bridesmaid Luncheon, etc. This was my Mother's cookbook. I've tried some things in there, but mainly it is fun reading. I also bought it for my Mother-In-Law, who enjoyed reading it while watching Josh when he was little.
This is another favorite cake of my Mom's, also from my Grandma. The writing on this is typical of her, including bare bones as she had most recipes in her head. It comes out like a chiffon cake, and is great for birthdays.
‘Plain Cake’
1 ¼ cups sugar
½ cup butter
Cream those two well.
1 cup milk
2 ¼ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Last break 2 eggs in batter and beat well. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Makes 2 layers.
No hints on how long to bake this or at what temp. I tend to do 350 for 35 - 40 minutes - but look on the back of any mix and match it to whatever pans you are using.
My Mother is a huge mystery fan, since I was little. It's funny - as a teen I made fun of her genre reading. Now of course I'm addicted and write some too. She particularly likes cozy series like me, but she also reads edgy police procedurals. She LOVES very edgy crime TV dramas. She enjoys Louise Penny, Rosemary Harris, Lee Harris, Val McDermid, J.A. Jance, Sara Frommer, M.C. Beaton (both series). She likes Illinois authors like I do including Julie Hyzy, Mike Black, Denise Swanson, Tom Keevers. I often call her from the desk to see if she knows about some new one that I find. What are you reading?

No comments: