Saturday, May 30, 2009

Coconut Brownettes

Your guess is as good as mine as to what these are. I believe the artists who did illustrations for this Good Housekeeping 1958 Cookies (vol. 2) book thought they were cute little brownies. I think with the antennae eyebrows they look a bit devilish. Perhaps this explains why none of my brownies turn out. Perhaps these creatures have been visiting my kitchen.

Here is a fun recipe from the mixes section:
Coconut Brownettes
1 cup flaked coconut (more if you eat while baking as I do)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. soft butter or margarine
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 pkg. brownie mix

1. Start heating oven as label directs. With fork, mix coconut with sugar, egg, butter and extract.
2. Prepare brownie mix; turn into pan as label directs for cakelike brownies; spread coconut mixture on top.
3. Bake as directed. Cut into squares. Makes 16.

The next recipe listed is 'Sherry Crisps'. Ick.

I'm back from the doctor this morning for me, and already took the antibiotics prescribed. The boys and I yesterday watched Mulan and Peter Pan. We're on a Disney quest as we will be going there again in a few weeks. I had forgotten how much I like Mulan. Yes, the history details and cultural norms are a stretch, but that girl is awesome. She makes the rest of the Princesses look wimpy.

Today is the last day for the Bridget Zinn auction at http://www.bridgetzinnauction.wordpress.com My custom cookbook is up to a flattering price, but there are many many good things to bid on there. Don't miss out on fun things while helping someone in pretty tough circumstances right now, too!

No comments: