Saturday, May 09, 2009

Mount Vernon Red Cherry Pie


My Mom requested Cherry Pie and one other for tomorrow's blog. I found this in the Southern Living Pies and Pastry Cookbook of the Southern Heritage series. That picture is from there, too...
2 (16 oz.) cans tart cherries, drained
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
Pastry for 1 double-crust (9 inch) pie
Combine cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan; stir until well blended. Set aside for 10 minutes. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
Roll half of pastry to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Spoon cherry mixture into pastry shell.
Roll remaining pastry to 1/8 inch thickness; cut into 3/4 -inch wide strips (I think you could eyeball that...) and arrange in a lattice fashion over filling. Trim edges; seal and flute. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 400; bake an additional 20 minutes. (Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning (love that word) if necessary.) Cool before slicing. Yield; one 9-inch pie.
You'll notice I've not talked about books this week. My one year old has been in the ER a few times this week with wheezing issues, and also another family member was in the hospital with a stroke. A beloved friend's father passed away, and I did not even make it to the service. I feel like I'm barely getting things done that need it this week, but thankfully Owen and the other family member are on the mend. I'll make some donations in my friend's father's name, and get the house somewhat sorted for the 25 folks coming over here tomorrow. What I really want for Mother's Day is a healthy crew here. I also like the Nintendo DS with Gourmet Cook that the boys got me...

1 comment:

Terry said...

A very Happy Mothers Day wish to you sweetie. may you find each and everyone on the mend and headed to 100 % again.
I'm sorry to hear it has been a rough week. I am simply amazed you found time to post the wonderful Cherry Pie recipe.
Thank you so much for sharing.
Happy Mothers Day !