Thursday, May 07, 2009

Mushy Cookie Pudding


I put this photo as it is my Mother's favorite of my cookbooks to read when she comes over. While that series is my favorite, she likes this on in particular because it has many photos of old family celebrations, like weddings where they all look very grim. It is a wonderful cookbook.
Mushy Cookie Pudding is my brother's elegant term for a treat my Mother made us. I then saw it featured in Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen mystery series (can't remember which) as a wedding cake of all things.
1. Make instant chocolate pudding (my shortcut).
2. Line a 9X13 with vanilla wafers. Spread a layer of pudding. Don't taste it! You won't have enough. (Guess how I know?)
3. Layer cookies over that.
4. Pudding layer.
5. Cookie Layer.
Cover and weight it a bit if you can in the fridge overnight to let the flavors blend. Yummy.
I'm also adding Lemon Bars here as Mom LOVES them. She can never find a recipe she likes, so she tries and discards many. I'll bet she'll like this one - sent by a friend:
2 Sticks butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Blend butter, 2 cups flour and powdered sugar. Pat into ungreased
9 x 13 pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
For the filling, blend eggs, sugar, 4 Tbs. flour, lemon juice and lemon peel. Pour evenly over first layer.
Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Loosen around edges. Cut into bars and sift powdered sugar over the
top while warm.
4 Tbs. flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbs. grated lemon peel
Powdered sugar for dusting
Tomorrow Evelyn David is guest blogging. They have a cake recipe and their new book: Murder Takes the Cake (www.echelonpress.com) just came out - Yeah!

No comments: