Sunday, May 03, 2009

Rice Pudding



My Mom came over right after we adopted Owen. She came over after both boys, but here's the picture from Owen's Coming Home Day as way in the world of Adoption.

I've been typing in my Grandma Curtin's recipes for my family, and this is one of my Mother's favorites:

Baked Rice Pudding
Combine 2/3 cup Minute Rice, 2 ¾ cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup raisins in saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix 2 slightly beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg in 1-quart casserole. Slowly stir in rice mixture; mix well. Place in pan of hot water. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Grandma was one of those cooks who had it all in her memory. I do find it funny that 'a shot of whiskey' makes its way into most of her baking, but not this one.

My friend Kim Patton, the new YALSA President Elect (as of July), is a creative cook too who makes things out of her head. The good news is that she is trying to write them down to join me with my cookbook proposal. The other news is that I will likely gain another 10 pounds making her delicious recipe.

No comments: