Sunday, June 28, 2009

Diner Carrot Cake


There is not a lot of agreement about where carrot cakes got their history. I've looked at a number of resources, and some say Medieval times, some say during War times, others say it really took off in its tradition form during the 1960's (which would explain why I can't find many recipes for it in my collection).
This cookbook is actually from 2000. It is a fun nostalgia trip into Diners, and there is a 2 page recipe. I will just list the ingredients, and tell you it has to cook for 40 - 45 minutes in a 350 oven in THREE 8 inch pans. Sift the dry ingredients, add the wet, and finally add the carrots and nuts before baking. That's a lot of work, folks, plus another page for the Cream cheese frosting.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger (oh boy; that would take me a while by itself)
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 cups firmly packed shredded carrots
1 cup walnuts, chopped (that's a ton of nuts)
Wow! Lots of work. There have to be easier recipes than this, though I'm sure it's delicious. I did come across a carrot souffle recipe today, too. Painful.

3 comments:

Miss CherryBubbles said...

Carrot Cake is one of those desserts that I really like, but never think to make. Thank you for posting about it! Now I'm wondering about the history of carrot cake too - lol.

Oh, and Diner Desserts looks like a fun cookbook ;)

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love carrot cake. Yum!

Just visiting this site for the first time today, Amy (to read Gayle's post). I love the way you add your observations and comments to the recipes. Makes it fun. And I love that you add comments about the mysteries you read. Nice mix for a fun blog.

Amy said...

Thanks so much for these nice notes. I am almost as addicted to mysteries and YA books as I am to cookbooks... I'm glad you are enjoying reading the blog!