Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Boston Brown Bread


I thought I'd continue the bread theme from Karen earlier this week. This is still from the Cooking American Style that I took from my friend's apartment in NY a couple weeks ago. I was interested as it is cooked in a CAN. I've posted that craziness before, and still marvel at it. This one has an even more unusual cooking method, though. Why would people do this?
Boston Brown Bread
1 cup all-purpose flour, or rye flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup molasses
1 cup raisins (optional)
Butter or margarine
Grease four 4 1/2 x 3 cans (16 oz. vegetable cans) (Who has those empty sitting around?). Beat all ingredients except butter 30 seconds on low speed. Pour into cans, filling each about 2/3 full. Cover each tightly with aluminum foil.
Place cans on rack in Dutch oven or steamer; pour boiling water into pan to level of rack. Cover pan. Keep water boiling over low heat until wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean, about 3 hours. (Add boiling water, if necessary, during steaming.)
Remove cans from pan; immediately unmold breads (unmold breads? Ugh) Serve warm with butter.
Wow - this book seems to like this bizarre steaming method. See also the Baked Prune Whip recipe from a couple weeks ago for more of this.
Tonight I have CSI with the teens with fabulous mystery authors Michael Black and Dave Case, who are also policemen. It's one of my favorite teen programs, and I'm doing a mini recreation of it for the YALSA Preconference Friday with some of my teens. Should be fun!

No comments: