Sunday, July 05, 2009

Maple Frango

This is also from the cookbook my friend gave me in NY, Betty Crocker's Cooking American Style. Frankly, I don't know what it is - it's not in the candies section, it's under the multiple page chapter on puddings. When is the last time you ate pudding that wasn't chocolate or rice? Puddings are hard to find. I suspect this is because they are hard to keep warm and still taste well.

What did you eat for the holiday?
My brother-in-law Jeremy grilled pineapple soaked in coconut milk and covered in sugar yesterday and it was fantastic. He also made a dip with salmon and ricotta which was very good.

If you know what this is, you can make it and eat it...
Maple Frango
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup maple-flavored syrup
1 cup chilled whipping cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Beat egg yolks in small mixer bowl until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Heat syrup just to boiling. Pour about half of the hot syrup very slowly in thin stream into egg yolks, beating constantly on medium speed. Stir egg yolk mixture into hot syrup in saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened; cool.

Beat whipping cream in chilled bowl until stiff. Fold in vanilla and egg yolk mixture. Pour into ice cube tray. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
That truly sounds bizarre. I may have to try it when my kitchen things are unearthed again after the move.

My cookbooks along with other kitchenalia collections are featured this week at Collector's Quest, an online community for obsessed - er, enthusiastic collectors like myself:
http://www.collectorsquest.com/featured-week/Kitchenalia.html

It's all about perspective: I still don't know when we are moving - the mortgage folks are sorting it all out on both ends of the sale. Likely 7/15 - 7/20. I have a conference downtown next weekend that I'm sort of dreading. I'm speaking at a few things, which is never a favorite thing, I'm helping to run something where lots of the speakers have cancelled and at the moment the entire thing feels like a distraction I don't need. It's been 1.5 years since I've been to this conference since we adopted Owen and I realize I haven't missed it - just missed seeing my librarian friends! However, I'm bringing 4 teens with me to the event this year- a niece and three of my Teen Corps. One of them came up to me covered in paint Wednesday night during our Splatter Paint program and told me she could hardly sleep she was so excited about going with me; that she wished it was today already. There as so many things to like about working with teens.

Great guest blogger tomorrow - stay tuned!

No comments: