Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Greek Mashed Potato Cakes

Mary's great post got me thinking more about potato pancakes. While I do seem to have a few variations among the cookbooks I've unpacked so far, there is nothing too strange. I can't believe I found a food that hasn't been vastly perverted by folks in the 1950's. I mean - look at the salmon mousse. This one is a little different, though.

Greek Mashed Potato Cakes
5 - 6 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled, and mashed (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons Romano cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
All purpose flour
Vegetable oil

Combine potatoes, butter, egg, cheese, salt and pepper. Using 1/4 cup potato mixture per patty, shape into 2 1/2 inch patties, about 1/2 inch thick.

Heat 1/8 inch hot oil (375) in a skillet. Dredge (a favorite word) each patty in flour. Cook until golden brown, turning once. Drain well. Yield: 4 servings.

This is from the Southern Heritage Southern Living set, the Vegetables volume. The photo is: "The potato man in 1800's ad." Like a Humpty Dumpty nightmare...

No comments: