Sunday, August 09, 2009

More Meat Mousse


As I was unpacking more yesterday, I found this in the 5th Ed. Joys of Jello. I know it's not a great photo, but it's a ring of Chicken Mousse.
"Filled with potato salad, this ring makes a meal." Of what, though?
Variations include Ham Mousse, Salmon Mousse and Tuna Mousse.
Chicken Mousse:
1 package Jello Lemon or Orange-Pineapple
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups boiling chicken broth
Dash of cayenne (nothing goes with pineapple like cayenne...)
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup diced cooked chicken
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon chopped pimiento.
Basically this is dissolve Jello and salt in boiling broth. Whip cream and fold everything in. Chill and unmold.
For Salmon: Use boiling water instead of broth, 1 can flaked salmon instead of chicken and 1 cup diced cucumber instead of celery and pimiento.
Yes, that makes it much better.
I finished Sophie Kinsella's Twenties Girl today. Wonderful story. Just what I needed right now, and of course I loved all the vintage clothing and jewelry references.
Keep the many Mousse stories coming. The entire point of this blog is to trigger memories in people about family foods and past good times. I love it when a recipe strikes a note. My Mother was again talking to me about how when the relatives came from Ireland she served the salmon dill mousse. Sadly, she had no fish mold.

No comments: