Thursday, August 06, 2009

Sweet-N-Sour Turkey Bites


Yes, it's 3:30 a.m. If the steroid dose is ever increased for my asthma, will I have energy round the clock?
For fun, I'm looking through some cookbooks. It is a bit of a risk blogging at this hour as this may not make much sense. (As opposed to my usual?) I am also looking for recipes for the fall shows. Some are now about Thanksgiving. I found these, from the Hallmark 1978 Holiday Cookbook. It is a gift from my friend Nancy, who gave me many wonderful titles from her home when she retired.
I'm not sure which items from the photo are the SNS Turkey Balls - perhaps the round items with parsley second from the left.
Sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup pineapple juice (stomach turning combo, especially at 3...)
1/ 2 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Turkey Bites
2 pounds ground raw turkey meat (Did anyone even try to make this recipe sound appealing?)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tsp. oil (Any kind? Peppermint?)
Combine sauce ingredients in a large saucepan. Stir to dissolve sugar and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sauce becomes clear. Cook 1 minute.
Lightly mix turkey, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Shape into small uniform-size balls. Heat butter and oil in a skillet and saute turkey bites, a few at a time. Add them to the sauce and simmer 15 minutes. (Or place sauteed turkey bites in a casserole, add sauce and bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F oven 20 minutes.)
About 70 appetizers. Wow! What kind of a party are you supposed to host?
Note: Look for preground turkey meat, sold in frozen rolls; or buy a boned 2 pound turkey breast and put through a meat grinder or food processor. (And that's only one appetizer. How long would this take? At least they didn't suggest raising a turkey then er, preparing it to serve.)
While there are Happy New Year hats in the picture, I really think this tray would work - never. This is not one for my show, unless it's a humorous example.
There are times when a library program transcends my expectations, and not just because of the steroids. (Then of course there are other times, but...) Last night we had an hour of 'Drawing Fantasy Animals' with Tim Broderick - author, artist, and wonderful person. We tried to stump Tim into drawing really tough fantasy creatures - we even pulled out the reference sources. He did them all with style, even the Griffin, the Troll and the Centaur - my favorite!
Then we hosted author James Kennedy for 1.5 hours of skits/theatrics. He had teens dress up in costume pieces he brought and demonstrate creative insults and faux fighting in the Dome of Doom. This is like a scene from The Order of the Odd Fish, his book, from which he did dynamic short readings to set the stage. I had 27 teens last night, and almost all asked when James is returning. The teens did not want to leave, and many purchased books. Happily he is going to do a Readers' Theatre group for us soon. That was an amazing evening.
I've been lucky to run into great entertainers at literary events. I met Tim at a mystery conference, and James at an author breakfast. Seeing great folks like this do amazing programs keeps the job fresh. Fresher than my recipes for certain.

No comments: