Sunday, September 20, 2009

More Brunch Breads


Writing the post yesterday reminded me that the Southern Heritage set has a Breakfast and Brunch Cookbook. Several menus are provided, and I can't believe how many have strong drinks included! But this photo is from 'Breakfast at the Williamsburg Inn.' It has no drink, but does include Breakfast Fried Apples and Virginia Spoonbread. I don't know why you couldn't just have sliced apples, but the layout on this photo looked so appealing (pun intended) I had to include it.
Breakfast Fried Apples
3 medium-size cooking apples, cored and sliced
1/4 cup bacon drippings
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
Place apple slices and bacon drippings in a large skillet; cover and cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until apples are tender. Sprinkle sugar over apples; cook, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a warm serving platter: serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings, and heart trouble.
Sprinkle 6 TBLSP of sugar? Oy. Just slice and serve the apples, or microwave them with a little brown sugar and cinnamon.
I bought cornbread at Graue Mill when I was there over Labor Day. Perhaps I'll make this:
Virginia Spoonbread
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups milk, scalded
3 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
Combine cornmeal and scalded milk in a large saucepan: mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Gradually add eggs and butter; stir until butter melts. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Pour mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until set. Serve immediately. Yield 6 - 8 servings.
I found out my good friend Susan Miura is the Runner Up in the 2009 ACFW Genesis Young Adult Category! They were announced last night. Her Christian writing for young adults is exciting and Inspired. I know it is just the beginning of a wonderful writing career for her.

No comments: