Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sandwich Loaf Returns


I can't believe this is in the Snacks and Refreshments book too. I'm beginning to think it's more prevalent than prunes.
By the way, author and friend Molly Macrae will be writing about prunes and other favorite recipes here in a couple weeks, before the mystery conference we are both attending. Apparently she loves prune whip and I challenged her to write about it.
But back to sandwich loaf. Every time I think I've discovered the most disgusting version of this I find a worse one. The parsley does nothing to make this thing attractive. Why was it so sophisticated to serve this? How would you eat this neatly? I don't even want to think about the Weight Watchers points of that inch of cream cheese all the way around alone.
This Frosted Ribbon Loaf uses Ham and Egg Fillings:
Ham Filling:
1 cup ground cooked ham
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
2 tablespoons drained pickle relish
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Egg Filling:
4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1/3 cup chopped stuffed green olives
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
And for the loaf it lists 4 packages of cream cheese.
My son scored his first soccer goal yesterday. He kicked it and it rolled just past the goalie. Josh looked so surprised and happy. What a moment. I've been a bit wary of the soccer system in our new town as there are 8 teams in the first/second grade level for this little town and it's pretty serious business with 2 practices a week and a nice but strong coach who keeps pushing all of them. I keep asking J if he likes it, and he does. I notice all four first graders on his team are really stepping it up now, too. My son is not afraid to do something hard in a situation like that where he didn't know anyone at first. I don't know if I can say the same!

1 comment:

Nick Buron said...

As a regular reader of your blog, this one freaks me out. Ironically, it is vegetarian.