Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Crown Jewel Pie


I couldn't leave that prune recipe up before my trip!
Here is the Crown Jewel Pie from a later Joys of Jello than I used for yesterday's post. I know it's later, as the first just has Crown Jewel Cake (right). This has new versions.
I made the pie when I was little, as I was fascinated by ladyfingers. This recipe calls for lining a 9-inch pie pan with 18 of them. The sides are ladyfingers cut in half. This recipe is a lot of work, but delicious. I don't know how it would go over today at a party, though - it's pretty vintage, and not everyone likes jellied cubes in their pie, but you never know.
1 package each Jell-O Orange, Cherry and Lime Gelatins (You can use different ones - obviously the pictured pie did.)
4 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 package Jell-O Lemon Gelatin
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 envelopes Dream Whip or 2 cups whipping cream
Prepare the three flavors of gelatin separately, using the hot and cold water for each. Pour each flavor into an 8-inch square pan. Chill into firm, or overnight.
Then combine the lemon gelatin, sugar, and remaining 1 cup boiling water; stir until gelatin and sugar are dissolved. Stir in pineapple juice. Chill until slightly thickened.
Cut the firm gelatins into 1/2 inch cubes. Then prepare whipped topping mix as directed on package or whip the cream; blend with lemon gelatin. Fold in gelatin cubes. Pour into pan. Chill at least 5 hours or overnight.
I'm also returning from Bouchercon to go to my 20th High School Reunion this weekend. I have no idea what possessed me to want to do this. I haven't even figured out what to wear or anything like that - I'm much more excited about the conference. But it will be nice to see some people from that time.

No comments: