Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fruit Cup Pie


My 18 mos. old son Owen kept taking my BHG Pies and Cakes as I was writing the Mock Mince post yesterday and going "oooohhh pie" as he would page through looking for pictures.
So then I saw this photo. Would you want to eat this? I'm not sure. I do like these fruits, but it does look like someone dumped in little containers of fruit cup (we have lots of those here) into a pie crust. Luckily, that's not the recipe:
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tblsp. quick-cooking tapioca
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Dash salt
2 cups diced peaches
2 cups diced pears
1 cup seedless green grapes
1 tblsp. chopped maraschino cherries
1 tblsp. lemon juice
1 tblsp. butter or margarine
Mix sugar, tapioca, spices, and salt. Add fruits and lemon juice; mix lightly. Turn into pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate. Dot with butter. Adjust top crust, cutting slits for escape of steam; seal. Brush crust with milk; sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake in hot oven (400) about 30 minutes. Serve slightly warm. The photo caption says serve warm with ice cream.
That just looks odd, and I can't imagine the taste, especially with ice cream!
My review of Julia Keller's Back Home appeared today in the Chicago Tribune: http://tinyurl.com/ykz3t45. It's about a family that tries to recover when the father returns from the Iraq War minus an arm, a leg, and with a traumatic brain injury. It was a powerful book and a good one for discussion with tweens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually this looks like something out of the 1950s Betty Crocker. Why couldn't you just use canned fruit cocktail?

Amy said...

There is definitely a lot of overlap in the vintage cookbooks, just like today! I had that thought too - using the canned fruit cocktail would certainly save time! It still would taste nasty though, I think, like this one!

Anne said...

Heavens, I adore a boy who exclaims over pie! You are raising them right!