Sunday, October 18, 2009

Lime Chocolate Pie


I had a wonderful time both at Bouchercon and at my 20th high school reunion. While both of my programs went well at B'con, a highlight was the Sisters In Crime Librarians' Tea on Thursday afternoon. I don't know when I've had such delicious, delicate goodies or been in the company of so many fabulous authors.

I was sitting next to author Molly Macrae (Ms. Prune Whip) and my colleague Susan Gibberman and I used my cell phone to take some photos of some of the cookies from the FOURTH course of the tea. This one to the left was one of my favorites, a lime chocolate tart. I was curious about that combo and started looking in my books. Only the Farm Journal's Country Cookbook, from 1959 had a lime chocolate recipe, and I don't think this would have the same delicious result, but I could be wrong:



Crust: 1 1/4 c. chocolate cookie crumbs (about 20 cookies)



1/3 c. butter or margarine, melted



Combine crumbs and butter. Press firmly into buttered 9" pie pan. Chill until firm.



Filling:



1 3 oz. pkg. lime flavor gelatin



1 c. boiling water



1/4 c. sugar



2/3 c. evaporated milk or 1 (5 1/2 oz can)



2 tablespoons lemon juice



1 tsp. grated lemon rind



Few drops green food color



Combine gelatin and water; stir until dissolved. Add sugar. Chill until thickened and partly set. Chill evaporated milk in refrigerator tray until ice crystals form (How strange...). Whip milk until stiff. Add lemon juice. Fold in gelatin mixture. Add rind and food color. Pour into crust. Chill about 4 hours or until firm. Bring pie to room temperature (about 30 minutes) before cutting.



My first program was on Writing for Children and Young Adults on Thursday. I was the moderator with Lauren Henderson, Shirley Jump and Susan Runholt as speakers. All three brought interesting and diverse publishing experiences, and were excellent speakers.

On Friday, for two hours I had the pleasure of acting as MC for a teacher/librarian program on youth/teen mysteries. I spoke a little on trends and introduced Jeff Stone, Wendelin Van Draanen, Chris Grabenstein and the Crimescene with Michael Black and Dave Case. I was utterly exhausted afterwards but so pleased to have been a part of that one. Jennie Jacobsen and her committee did an entire separate children's track at B'con which is a first for that convention. It was an amazing experience.

Get ready for some delicious pumpkin recipes and other treats from some great guests in the next few weeks on Vintage Cookbooks!

2 comments:

Barbra Annino said...

Wish I could have been there!!!

Shirley said...

Amy,

It was so great to meet you, too! I had a fabulous time at Bouchercon. And those desserts sound fabulous!

Shirley