Friday, November 13, 2009

Turkey Cacciatore and Wilted Lettuce

After a two day break to recover from the latest asthma issue (I'm up at 4 blogging again) and to do another talk, I'm back writing about the Holiday Weekend Luncheon for after Thanksgiving from the previous post. My talk last night was at the Thomas Ford Memorial Library in Western Springs, IL. It was great fun, and the crowd really seemed to enjoy Sandwich Loaves. I didn't serve one, don't worry - but we all had fun talking about them. That's what I wanted from these programs. Thanks to Jamie and the Friends for hiring me - I would gladly go back to that lovely place. I know teen librarian Heather, and knew it had to be good to have great people like her working there, and I was right.

So I found this image of Turkey Cacciatore from a Flickr account. It doesn't quite match this recipe, though.

3 cups cut-up turkey (get a pound of ground...)
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 2-pound 3-oz. can tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. marjoram
Saute turkey until slightly browned in oil. Add remaining ingredients; cover. Simmer for 1 hour. Remove cover to reduce the sauce. Serve on spaghetti. Yield: 5 - 6 servings.

Wilted Lettuce - folks, I really just think this is a form of Greens, only with cold salad greens. Why not call it something more appetizing, though?
1 head lettuce
1 small onion, diced
5-6 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup bacon grease
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup water
Break lettuce into small pieces; place in bowl with onion. Heat back till crisp; drain. Add to lettuce and onion. Combine in frying pan, bacon grease, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and water. Bring to boil, stirring. Pour over salad. Toss well. Yield: 6 servings.

No comments: