Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cream of Pea Soup and Whiskey Kisses

My Mother is feeling nostalgic for old recipes right now and I have agreed to try and make some salmon mousse for Christmas. She called me the other day all excited to have found her old recipe, then added "Of course I didn't have one of those silly fish molds to put it in." Er - readers here know I bought one in the wee hours during an asthma period in August. So get ready for Christmas, folks. I'll put a photo here.

She also wants to taste Prune Whip again. I'm torn there - I like to please her and indulge these memories but I did say I'd never do prunes. Perhaps one should never say never about food. It's an easy enough thing to do for her. She did sit through 3 of my shows, which got her thinking about this.

At a reader's request, here are the recipes for the Cream of Pea Soup and the Whiskey Kisses from yesterday's menu. I am always happy to post things if you have a request or are interested in something.
Cream of Pea Soup
1 10 oz. package frozen green peas
2 cups boiling water
2 cups whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Whipped Cream (Yep, that's whipping cream and whipped cream)
Combine peas and water in a medium saucepan; cover and cook 10 minutes or until peas are tender. Pour half of mixture into container of electric blender; process until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining pea mixture.
Stir in whipping cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Cover and chill several hours. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream. Note: soup may be served warm with croutons, if desired.
I've never seen a soup recipe that works both hot and cold, but it has to be better than Prune Whip.

Whiskey Kisses (Keep the matches away.)
1 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
3/4 cup fine chopped pecans or walnuts
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 cup bourbon
Sifted powdered sugar
Combine first 4 ingredients; mix well. Stir in bourbon. (Sip generous amounts. Just kidding.) Shape mixture into 1-inch balls and roll each in powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: