Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Fantastic Fudge



This photo is also from the BHG Cookies and Candies, 1966 cookbook. I use it in my talks. Fudge as a holiday gift is a big theme in vintage cookbooks, and I think it still is popular. I know it is in fact, as it is very hard for me to get it for my talks! I serve fudge, though tonight I'm serving some Fannie Mae Pumpkin Pie truffles instead as I am having an awful time getting more Pumpkin Pie Fudge. But this cookbook has several pages of fudge recipes.

Have you tried to make it? It's pretty hard. Readers here know I have melted candy thermometers...Also, Divinity seems revered by folks who remember parents or grandparents making it. Why is that so special?

Here's Old-Time Fudge. Maybe you'll have better luck than me making Fudge. It's pictured at the top of the photo:

2 cups granulated sugar

3/4 cup milk

2 1-oz. squares unsweetened chocolate

Dash salt

1 tsp. light corn syrup

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1 tsp. vanilla

Butter sides of heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it combine first 5 ingredients. Stir over medium heat till sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boiling. Then cook to soft-ball stage (234 F) stirring only in necessary.

Immediately remove pan from heat; add butter and cool to lukewarm (110F) without stirring. Add vanilla. Beat vigorously until fudge becomes very thick and starts to lose its gloss. Quickly spread in buttered shallow pan. Score while warm, cut when firm. Note: If desired, quickly stir in 1/2 cup broken nuts at end of beating time.

Tonight's talk is at the Schaumburg Twp. Dist. Library 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. Yep, the library where I work also hired me to give a talk. I'm really looking forward to it, but of course the voice is already fighting me. I wish chocolate and fudge were remedies for asthma!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Divinity is special if it is well made, nothing else like it. It was a favorite of my father his whole life. Just like my grandmother's favorite candy was peanut brittle but she was very picky about which brittle she would eat. Homemade of course was the best and I do have one of her old candy cookbooks but in a pinch she thought, and I agree that See's candy made really good peanut brittle. chrisq