Wednesday, December 09, 2009


Last night I went to the Wauconda Public Library for a talk. It was snowing hard, but eight lovely ladies came to hear me speak and sample goodies. Terri, the adult and teen programmer, is a collector herself, and a wonderful cook. I so enjoyed talking with those kindred spirits. Tonight I head off to the Fremont Public Library District if there is not an ice storm as the forecast is hinting. I hope I can go. While my voice is squeaky today those talks energize me with the wonderful stories and responses from the audience!
Everyone I've encountered has been interested in Kolackies. I have seen them in every spelling and variation in the vintage cookbooks. Yesterday my mystery author friend Julie Hyzy put up her family recipe on Mystery Lovers' Kitchen - and it uses ice cream! Julie's new White House Chef mystery comes out in January - and I can't wait!
Kolackies were actually sweet buns and somehow are now cookies. My Grandmother Curtain has two recipes for them - and the first is in her usual vague style. Do your best. I love how there is nothing further beyond 'roll out'. I also like the shot of whiskey! I do believe she made them like the ones in the lower right in the picture. I can't remember which cookbook this is from - I use it in my talks, as it also has Pepperkakor and Rugalach.
Kolachy
1 lb. pound margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg yolks
5 cups flour
1 shot of whiskey
4 tablespoons of sour cream

Cream butter, sugar and baking soda. Add flour & egg yolks. Let stand in frig for a couple of hours. Then roll out and put filling in center. Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
‘Solo’ Apricot Fold Overs
1 12-oz. can Solo Apricot Filling
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 – ¾ cup milk

Sift flour with baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk to make a soft dough and mix just till dough follows fork around bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently ½ minute. Roll or pat ¼ inch thick. Cut into 3-inch circles with biscuit cutter or into diamond shapes with pastry cutter. Place a spoonful of Solo Apricot Filling in the center of each biscuit. Pinch edges of circles together, wetting slightly to make them stick. Fold over edges of diamonds and press down slightly. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in a very hot oven (450 degrees) 12 to 15 minutes. Makes about 1 dozen fold overs.
Happy Baking!

No comments: