Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas with Salmon Mousse!





Merry Christmas. The photo here is one I show at the beginning of my shows, along with my other Grandmother. This is Grandma Angelina Alessio, and her birthday was Christmas. The photo is from my wedding 14 1/2 years ago. She has not been with us in body for about 7 years, but her spirit is a tangible force in my life. To the right is a photo of Panettone, her favorite holiday treat. I could swear her spirit was moving my cart that way in the Italian grocery store.





And yes, I did make the Salmon Mousse for my Mother. I had a little trouble with the food dye. The salmon came out yellow, so I added a little red food coloring, but it split into red dots and would not blend. So here it is, in its unmolded glory. Yum yum. We'll see how it goes over!

Salmon Dill Mousse, from The Joys of Jello, 1981 ed.

2 packages (3 oz. each) Jell-O brand gelatin, lemon flavor

2 cups boiling water

1 cup cold water

3 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar

1 can (15 or 16 oz.) red or pink salmon, drained and flaked

1/2 cup sour cream

1/4 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons minced onion

1 1/2 tsp. minced dill weed

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add cold water and lemon juice and chill until thickened. Mix salmon with sour cream, mayonnaise, onion and dill and blend into gelatin. Pour into 6-cup fish mold or 8x4 inch loaf pan. Chill until firm, about 4 hours. Unmold and garnish 'eyes' if desired. Makes 5 1/3 cups or 5 - 6 entree servings.

Um, this is an appetizer going out with crackers. Entrees? Really?

Have a Blessed Holiday, Readers.


No comments: