Wednesday, January 27, 2010

City Chicken (with Crisco...)


I'm still writing from the cookbook mystery writer friend Rosemary Harris gave me at ALA: New Recipes for Good Eating. It is a Crisco Cookbook, and there are two pages of tips and pictures on how to fry.
"These foods are both good to eat and good for you. (Um, no.) Many people have a fear that fried foods are indigestible but there is no need to worry when you fry in pure all-vegetable Crisco."
Just be sure to keep your defibrillator handy.
The caption for this photo:
"Drain Crisco through cheese cloth after frying to remove crumbs or food particles." Yum yum.
Here's City Chicken, from the Pan Fried section.
1 1/2 pounds veal steak (cut into 1" cubes)
1/2 cup fine crumbs
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
Crisco for pan frying
Thread pieces of veal on wooden or metal skewers. Dip meat in salted crumbs, then in egg beaten with water, and again in crumbs. Pan fry in hot Crisco. When well browned reduce heat, cover and cook until tender, about 35 minutes.
While no one would call me Cosmopolitan, I've been to several cities, and nowhere in those travels have I seen veal called chicken.
I'm reading Sophie Littlefield's A Bad Day for Sorry before I start my next round of Crimespree teen mystery reviews. In this fun mystery a woman metes out justice to wife-beaters.

2 comments:

Anne Ylvisaker said...

Just have to say. This is my FAVorite blog. I always leave smiling. Thanks.

Miss CherryBubbles said...

My mom used to make City Chicken when I was a wee tot, but her recipe called for pork instead of veal. And oddly enough, it tasted like chicken - LOL.