Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ketchup Spice Nut Cake


I love this drawing. There are actually ketchup desserts in this cookbook. This is Spice Nut Cake:
2 1/3 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
2/3 cup hydrogenated vegetable shortening (yum)
2/3 cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup
2/3 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
Grated rind of 1 lemon
Heat oven to 350F. Sift first 6 ingredients into mixing bowl. Add shortening, ketchup and 2/3 cup milk; beat 300 strokes with spoon or 2 minutes at medium speed. (Who knew that baking was such good exercise?) Add eggs and 1/3 cup milk; beat 2 minutes longer. Fold in nuts and lemon rind. Spread batter evenly in 2 greased and floured layer pans (9x2). Bake 30-35 minutes. Frost with butter cream or cream cheese frosting.
As this publishes, I am in Boston for ALA's Midwinter conference. Tonight I will be at a cocktail party at Candlewick Publishers. Everyone I've met from that company is very smart and very nice. Certainly many fine books come from that house. I've been friends with Deb Noyes Wayshak, an editor and excellent writer, since we met at SCBWI's LA conference 10 years ago. I am looking forward to navigate the T to find their new offices. I'll let you know how this goes when I return...

1 comment:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I never would have thought of using ketchup as an ingredient in a spice cake!

Good luck with your conference!

Riley/Elizabeth
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen
Mystery Writing is Murder