Monday, January 11, 2010

Poor Man's Chow Mein


This is another gem of a cookbook I picked up over the weekend, also from MDL Sales in Wheaton. The cookbook was designed this way - no one put that cover on special. Isn't it cute? It is compiled by The Ladies Aid of First Evangelical United Brethren Church in Leavenworth, KS, 1961. Like most community cookbooks - it is a fabulous collection of regional and ethnic specialties, plus household casseroles. Here is Poor Man's Chow Mein (as opposed to?):
Brown in skillet: 1 lb. hamburger. (Add 2 T fat)
Add 1 medium onion, chopped. Simmer a little.
Add: 1/2 cup raw rice (not the pre-cooked type)
2 cups diced celery
1 can mushroom soup (undiluted)
3-4 T Soy Sauce
Bake 1 hour in 350F oven in a 1 - 1 1/2 qt. casserole
Put 1 can Chinese Noodles on top the last 5 min. (small can)
Heat leftovers in double boiler!
I'm squeezing in one more adult book before immersing myself in YA for ALA. I'm reading Sharon Fiffer's Scary Stuff. This series about an antiques picker in IL got me started collecting Lu Ray dishes a few years back. It is fun to read about all her finds, and the mysteries are usually pretty good, too.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Very Cute, you could imagine those ladies sticking on the little gingham aprons on there.

Deepo said...

Love the cookbook - church and community books are fantastic. This recipe is something I think my mom used to make! She added yet another odd ingredient though - crushed potato chips (for extra crunch?). My brother and I loved it. Wow - hadn't thought about this in decades!!!