Sunday, March 21, 2010

Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies

It's snowing here. It snowed all day yesterday and still this morning. It's warm enough that there is no accumulation on the roads, but there is a couple inches in our yard. In other news, today is the first day of spring.
This picture is from the Domino Sugar cookbook. While lots of vintage cookbooks save money by using drawings, these are so cute, and some use partial photos like this one! Here's a great refrigerator cookie recipe to go with:
Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies
2 cups firmly packed Domino Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. soft butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Cream sugar, salt and butter or margarine thoroughly.  Beat eggs and extract into creamed mixture until light and fluffy.  Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon.  Gradually stir into creamed ingredients.  Work nuts into dough.  Chill slightly.

Form dough into 3 rolls; wrap each in waxed paper and place on metal tray.  Chill overnight.  Slice 1/4" cookies; place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake cookies in moderate oven 350F 8 - 12 minutes or until brown around edges.  Remove to cooling rack.  Store in airtight container.  Yield:  6 - 8 dozen cookies.

http://www.mdlsales.com/  I went to this store in Wheaton yesterday - MDL Sales Antiques. I bought a red shirtwaist dress and a 1950's blouse. That's right - I am going to start dressing the part for the programs. I also got some wonderful vintage cookbooks there. I love the mother and daughter who run that place - they totally get what I do, and let me know when scary cookbooks arrive. The mother helped me find the clothes, which was not easy, as I do not have the wispy waist of a 1950's woman with industrial underwear.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Maybe I need to make you a vintage style apron to wear for your talks!

Mimi said...

Thanks for sharing your treasures! I'm a new follower. Love vintage cooking. Hope you'll stop by my retro weight loss recipe blog sometime!

http://theskinnyjeansproject.blogspot.com/