Thursday, April 01, 2010

Fondant Easter Eggs


This photo is of fondant easter eggs, with piped frosting on a bed of spun sugar. It is from the Southern Living Holiday book, late 1960's. I love the wooden chicken.

This is a heck of a lot of work, and the recipe for the Spun Sugar is included, but since I'm not ready to point out the HALF PAGE of directions for that, you're not getting it. Here's the No-Cook Fondant eggs:
1/3 c. margarine
1/3 c. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. confectioners' sugar, sifted
Blend the margarine, corn syrup, vanilla and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Add the confectioners' sugar all at once and mix with a spoon, then knead with hands.  Turn out onto a board and continue kneading until mixture is well blended and smooth.  Store in refrigerator and shape as desired.  1 1/3 pounds.

This sounds like a fun activity with kids, though.

Tonight I will be talking about Vintage Southern Treats at the Clarendon Hills PL, as part of their Big Read program about The Help. I won't be serving chocolate pie - as there is a very scary one in the book, but I will be serving mini pecan pies, coconut petit fours, caramel cake, and moon pies. This is going to be a fun one!

1 comment:

LemonyRenee' said...

It amazed me that women would have considered making this back in the days of no dishwashers, ironing everything, sterilizing baby bottles, etc. Bring to mind that saying, "If you want something done promptly, give it to a busy person."

I have a lot of respect for women of days gone by. I absolutely love this blog. I have been collecting vintage cookbooks and booklets for almost 20 years. Sometimes I feel as if it's singly up to me to keep these lost arts from going extinct. Not that I do many of them, mind you, but I keep them lovingly and look at them longingly. ;)

SO glad I found you!