Thursday, April 22, 2010

Peach Blush Salad


This is another gem from Ernestine:  Quick Dishes for the Woman in a Hurry - apparently one who has time to wear her dress and put on her hat while cooking. And high heels. If that's a work outfit, what would be her job? This is from 1955.

I do want to give a shout out to my new readers from the Model Horse Forum. My Stats Counter let me know that I was getting a ton of hits from that site, and I found they have a delightful forum on old cookbooks, where one person kindly mentioned this blog. Model horses are beautiful.

What is not so beautiful are the recipes in here. While you may be able to make these in a hurry - you may not want to eat them!

Peach Blush Salad
Drain, reserving sirup, and set aside (vintage spellings):  8 medium size canned peach halves
Blend together:  1 pkg. 3 oz. cream cheese, 1/4 cup mayonnaies, 1/2 tsp. prepared horse-radish, 1/4 tsp. salt
Thoroughly mix in:  1/4 cup chopped almonds, 1/4 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
Fill peach cavities with cheese mixture and press two peach halves together to make a whole peach.  Chill if time allows.
Arrange peaches on large plate of crisp salad greens
Dilute with water:  1 drop red food coloring:  Gently brush color on top of each peach. (I'm not sure why either)
Blend together:  1/3 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons cranberry jelly, 1 1/2 tablespoons reserved peach sirup.  Serve with peaches. (How? In a cup to drink?)
This has other versions with pears/maraschino cherries, or apricots.

Today Joshua is coming to work with me for Take Your Child to Work Day. It will be fun to have him help me sort the teen prizes and get ready for summer.

No comments: