Saturday, May 01, 2010

Chocolate Kicks

Yet another fabulous one from Ernestine's Treasure Trove. This one from 1974 names all recipes after drugs, to illustrate the chocolate addiction. Here's Chocolate Weeds:
1/2 pound sweet cooking chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sifted flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 oz. pecans, finely chopped
Set oven at 350F. Grease 2 cooky sheets.  Melt chocolate and butter together.  Cool slightly.  Beat eggs till foamy.  Add sugar, two tablespoons at a time and beat till thick.  Blend in chocolate.  Add dry ingredients and blend.  Stir in vanilla and nuts. Drop by teaspoonful on sheets, leaving room between for spreading.  Bake for 12 - 15 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from pans.  Makes about 4 dozen.

I flew home from Columbus last night. What a whirlwind conference! The librarian panels were so much fun. We all talked about books, and I could have done that for even longer! The receptions were - funky. The Ellora's Cave one with dancing shirtless 'cavemen' was like no other book reception I'd attended - until the next night's Faery Ball. Wow. I really enjoyed seeing J.A. Konrath's inflatable wings. That's the way to travel.

While lots of the workshops were really informative like Nancy Berland's on marketing (Bless them for praising librarians, to!) , there were some quirky ones, too. I offered my colleague Susan Gibberman $5 to attend the one on Menage-a-trois and to write about it in her staff report. She attended it. Can't wait to see the report. There is definitely a book for every reader!

I met lots of great authors and industry folks, and it will take me a while to read the many books I picked up and talk about all the great people. Stay tuned.

No comments: