Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lunch-Box Pineapple Crusties


More pies. This is from the 1958 Good Housekeeping Pie Party title. Don't they look perfect for breakfast, too? I also love the pie plate, though it's probably a repurposed cake plate. Either way - these sounds fun to make.

Lunch-Box Pineapple Crusties
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tablespoon soft butter or margarine
1 no. 2 can pineapple chunks (I think you could use crushed pineapple in a can)
1 pkg. piecrust mix
Start heating oven to 425F.  With fork, mix sugar with cinnamon, butter.  Drain pineapple chunks well.
Make piecrust as label directs.  Roll into 18x12" rectangle; cut into 3" squares.  Lay 1 pineapple chunk in center of each square; sprinkle with sugar mixture. (Amy's note: that seems like a tiny bit of pineapple with a lot of crust. Try a few tablespoons of crushed pineapple at least.)
Bring four corners of each square to center; then press all edges together well.  Brush with cream, if desired.  Place on baking sheet; bake 10 minutes, or until golden. Makes 24 crusties.

Anyone making a pie this weekend? Holiday weekends to me are all about something fun to make; either craft-wise or cooking. Also about going to the zoo - we are members of several.

This year it's also about reading a bunch of teen mysteries for me as the deadline for the reference book I'm writing gets closer and closer. If you are looking for something to read - I just finished a great teen mystery yesterday by Dene Low. It's the Edgar nominated Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone. Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone: The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival. It's set in 1903 London, and Petronella's coming out birthday party is marred by an Uncle who suddenly can't stop eating bugs, her pesky crush on her best friend's brother and then the kidnapping of the highest ranking guests from her party.

4 comments:

Sassy Lassies Vintage Life said...

These look great. Nice and easy. I love vintage cookbooks as well and blog once in awhile on a recipe or two. I look at your blog everyday, but don't often comment. I just wanted you to know I love the stuff you do.

Amy said...

Thanks so much! I follow yours as well!

Cleo Coyle said...

Amy - I'm following Sassy's lead - and giving you some comment love, too. I have been reading you for some time and only just became an "official" follower in your google app. but I wanted you to know that I love what you do! (BTW - That avocado pie you posted the other day was really out there! Loved it! :)

Amy said...

Hello Cleo and thank you also for your kind words! So no avocado pie for you, eh? I wouldn't eat that one myself. Avocado and jello are not made to go together...

I am a huge fan of your books! Folks - try a great series with Cleo's Coffee House books!