Monday, May 17, 2010

Rationing Recipes


My friend Susan found this wonderful booklet on stretcher recipes during rationing time. I don't have a year on this one, but it's clearly wartime, with lots of rules about food. This gem also has handwritten notes from the owner. Some of these recipes sound really good - even if they are padded with cereal! It does make me realize how spoiled I am...

Cereal Dumplings
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon fat
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
1 egg, well beaten
2 1/2 cups Grape-Nuts Flakes or Post's 40% Bran Flakes
1 tablespoon minced onion
Scald milk and add fat.  Remove from fire.  Add salt, pepper, and egg, mixing well.  Crush and add flakes, then onion; mix thoroughly.  Shape into 1-inch balls.  Drop into simmering stew, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.  Makes 15 dumplings.  (Three cups Post's Corn Toasties may be used instead of flakes in this recipe.)

Last night I had an amazing meal at the home of Lise Marinelli, CEO of Windy City Publishers. I was asked to be part of a Librarian Council for this new venture. WCP is a Hybrid Publisher. Authors contribute towards the publishing process, but books do go through an editing and submission process. Also, the three very savvy partners and other employees of this venture have a marketing structure helping authors with websites, plans and more. They are doing more than many small traditional publishers I know. One of their books has already won an award. It is amazing, and changing the way I think about publishing! Lise served a group of librarians a wonderful meal - she used to be a caterer. I look forward to doing more with this company - I was impressed all the way around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love your blog! My two boys and I are big fans of doughnuts (and food in general) so can't wait to try out the recipes.