Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Tribute to Mom Week: Key West Lime Pie


I love this photo of my Mom and Josh from the past weekend. My sister-in-law Laura took it after my niece's First Communion.

Last year before Mother's Day I ran some of my Mom's favorite recipes. I have more! She has always love Key Lime Pie. Here is a traditional version from the 1965 Farm Journal's Complete Pie Cookbook. I'll put up an easier one tomorrow - they refer to these as Mother-Daughter versions.

Key West Lime Pie
Bakes 9" pie shell
1/2 c. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. water
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 c. fresh lime juice
1 tblsp. grated lime peel
Few drops green food color
Meringue (3 egg whites)
Combine cornstarch, sugar and salt in saucepan; gradually add water, stirring until smooth.  Bring to a boil, over medium heat, stirring constantly, and boil 1 minute.
Remove from heat and quickly add one half the hot mixture to the egg yolks, mixing well. Return to the hot mixture, blending thoroughly.
Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring over medium heat.  Boil 1 minute longer.
Remove from heat; stir in lime juice and peel and food color to make filling a delicate green.  Pour into cool pie shell at once.  Completely cover with meringue.
Bake in moderate overn (350F) 12 - 15 minutes, or until meringue is golden.  Cool on wire rack away from drafts, at least 1 hour before cutting.

There has to be more to the meringues than the egg whites - likely some sugar and cream of tartar. Wait for the easier version...

No comments: