Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chocolate Graham Squares


This is another gem from the donations box I got at a show the other day, from PET Evaporated Milk. No year given.

"Chocolate Graham Squares:  Folks like these bar cookies better than candy!"
It's hard to believe I'd like something better than candy, but it sure sounds good. Since it has most of the ingredients of S'mores - I will likely love this one!

1. Turn on oven and set at 300F.
2. Mix well in a 2-quart bowl:  1 1/4 cups fine graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup PET Evaporated Milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces, 1/2 cup broken nuts, 1 tsp. vanilla
3. Spread in a well-greased 8-inch square baking pan.
4. Bake near center of oven 30 minutes, or until cake pulls from sides of pan. Take from oven and cool. Store covered in pan.  These squares will stay moist for several days.  Cut into 1 1/2 squares as needed. Makes 2 dozen.

I had so much fun at the Schaumburg Township District Library last night with my Preserving Family Recipes show. One lovely audience member made me an origami box with my photo on it from our library brochure, holding my cookbooks. What a treasure - and I mean both her and the box!  Folks make lovely cookbook album pages, and we all shared stories and favorite foods.

5 comments:

Little Black Car said...

This is a variant of Gold Rush brownies. I don't know where the idea came from (although I'd almost bet money it originated with a condensed milk company), but it was one of my grandmother's signature recipes.

They're a total, all-out, junk food: Insanely sweet and completely addictive.

Nancy said...

1/2 c and then another 1/3 cup of chocolate chips? That's a bit strange. I wonder why they didn't just round up to a cup.

Amy said...

Oops! My typo - I fixed it now. I do like me some chocolate...

Janean said...

Amy, would you mind posting the recipes on the front cover for the banana pie it looks delicious. Thanks, Janean

Amy said...

Sure - I'll find it for tomorrow!