Friday, June 04, 2010

Spiced Peach Crunch Pie


This is from the 1958 Good Housekeeping Party Pie Cookbook. It is the Spiced Peach Crunch Pie, pictured in the upper left corner. And yes, that's the Lunchbox Pineapple Crusties I did last week in the lower right. We actually made those this week - we'll put that up on Sunday. Then - I'm out of town for a while. But - the always funny and wonderful cook Molly MacRae is going to guest for a full week in June, so that will be a Party by itself!

Spiced Peach Crunch Pie
2 No. 2 1/2 cans cling-peach slices (Um, I think canned peach slices are fine)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 pkg. piecrust mix
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tablesp. soft butter or margarine
1 1/2 tsp. quick-cooking tapioca
Start hearing oven to 425F.  Pour peaches into strainer or colander; drain very well.  Chop nuts; with fork, mix with 1/2 pkg. piecrust mix, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter until crumbly, with some large crumbs. (Isn't Crumbly a great word?) Prepare rest of piecrust mix, following directions on package for 1 pie shell. Roll out pastry; fit into 9: pie plate, making attractive Fluted Edge. In bottom of lined pie plate, arrange one third of peach slices, side by side, in ring; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. tapioca.  Repeat twice; sprinkle crumbly mixture evenly over top.  Cover with foil; bake 30 min. Remove foil; bake 30 min. longer.

I'll admit the tapioca is a little strange, but really any combo with peaches has to be good. (Except prunes of course.)

Speaking of prunes - Molly and I will start the Great 2010 Summer Prune Off when I get back. We are going to try and do it over podcasts, but if that doesn't work, it will be in print here. We will each give the other recipes with her favorite ingredient every couple weeks and have a panel of folks taste them. I don't think she realizes how many weird prune recipes exist in my collection, but we'll see...

I'm taking a break from my teen mysteries and Edwards reading to run through Amanda Quick's Burning Lamp. Burning Lamp (An Arcane Society Novel)It took me a little while to realize Jayne Ann Krentz was tying in a plot theme through all three of her pseudonyms. First modern, then back in time, then in the future - all dealing with a burning lamp. Slightly confusing - but lots of fun in the two I've read so far. The futuristic one comes later this year.

No comments: