Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meat Balls


This 1979 Chicago charitable cookbook was left on my desk by my librarian friend Tom who goes through donations at the library. While one of these recipes for Sweet and Sour Meat Balls I've heard of before, the other was totally out of my realm of knowledge!

Version #1:
1 (8 oz.) jar grape jelly
1 bottle chili sauce
1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1/2 c. corn flake crumbs
Pinch of salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Combine jelly, chili sauce, water and lemon juice.  Simmer for about 1/2 hour.  Combine meat, egg, salt, pepper, corn flake crumbs.  Shape into small balls. Add to sauce and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Now I've seen many versions of grape jelly/chili sauce or grape jelly/frankfurters. This is actually pretty tasty.

But this version...:
1 lb. hamburger
1 large can frozen lemonade
1 can tomato soup
Season raw hamburger to taste (salt and garlic salt). (Um, do you have to keep tasting that to get it right?) Set aside. (Then check to make sure your shots are up to date.) Melt lemonade and combine with soup. Roll the hamburger into small meat balls and add to lemonade mixture.  Cook on low heat for about 2 hours.  For large quantities, double lemonade and soup.

Wow - that's nasty. Anyone else have a grape jelly/meat mixture they'd like to share? 

4 comments:

Molly MacRae said...

A grape jelly and meat recipe to share? No, I've never understood that combination.

When I was a kid, we did eat raw hamburger to check the seasoning. I can't imagine doing that, now, but back then we loved it. Raw beef, mm-mm, must be why I'm so burly and strong today.

Amy said...

Er - just for the record, Molly - how tall are you? :)

Rochelle R. said...

I have seen lots of the jelly/chili sauce recipes. I even made one but it didn't taste that great. I think that was because I made it with hot dogs and I think I cooked it to long in a crock pot. The lemonade/soup combo sounds way too odd. It would be at home in my Weird Recipe blog :)

Kathleen said...

My family makes "ham sauce" (which we more often use as a dip for veggies) out of chili sauce, grape or red currant jelly, and horseradish. It's pretty tasty.