Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Sampler with Joshua: Banana Cocoa Muffins


I pulled out one of Molly's Prune Off recipes this morning and couldn't face it (though they actually look pretty good). We had three mushy bananas left, so I used them to make muffins with J and O this morning. I altered a recipe from Esther Brody's 500 Best Muffin Recipes, one of my favorite more modern cookbooks from 2003. Hers was for Very Ripe Banana Muffins, and I added Cocoa. Mine turned out a bit dry, so I'm adding more moisture to your version here. You can also apply a light frosting of peanut butter to add flavor and moisture.
(Starting to understand why I got a treadmill for my anniversary present?)

1 cup mashed overripe bananas
1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F
Makes about 10 - 11 muffins. I have pans with shapes, so I am not sure how many round this would make. We did hearts and stars. Don't fill these too much - notice how much mine puffed up.

In a mixer bowl combine bananas, oil, sugar and salt; mix on low.  Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
In another bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder. Add to banana mixture slowly; lightly mix.
Spoon batter into greased or paper-lined muffin tin. Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes.

No comments: