Monday, September 20, 2010

Bobbing Apples and Vintage Raves

My Fall Flavors shows start this week, and this recipe and photo caught my eye. I sure hope the guests aren't supposed to bob for those apples...
From Betty Crocker’s Hostess Cookbook, 1967, for the Halloween Punch Party:
1 gallon apple cider

2 tsp. whole cloves
2 tsp. whole allspide
2 sticks cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
2 whole oranges
Whole cloves
3 medium red apples, washed
Heat and simmer, strain and pour into bowl. Float oranges and apples.

Halloween Parties are very prevalent in my Vintage Cookbook Collection. Here are some ideas from another one, the Southern Living’s Holiday Cookbook, 1962:
Let’s not limit Halloween parties to children and teenagers. After all, adults need to escape into the world of fantasy, too. Try a ‘Come as you were’ party – guests wear costumes to represent people they might like to have been in times past. Or perhaps a ‘come as you are’ parety – invitations are issues by telephone just an hour or so before the party, and guests must come dressed as they were when they received the invitation.


I think that's a Vintage Rave.

1 comment:

Sarsaparilla said...

I'm intrigued with the "Come as you are" party idea - and supposedly coming dressed as you were when you answered the phone invitation.

No way would I want to show up at any party in what I usually wear around the house. I would scare everyone away! But it's Halloween, so maybe that's the idea. :-)