Sunday, October 31, 2010

Scariest Vintage Recipe #1: Crown Roast of Franks

This always elicits lots of groans when I show it at my talks. Yes - its the Crown Roast of Frankfurters! Scary on so many levels. I really want to see someone serve this one. Not in my home, but still...
Happy Halloween!

From Thursday, October 22, 2009
It's time to start celebrating Halloween on here. I've been wearing my Halloween jewelry for weeks, and as we all know there are plenty of scary recipes in my cookbook library here. This is from The Complete Holiday Cookbook, likely from the 60's. There are three Halloween menus. Here's Trick or Treat Supper:


Crown Roast of Franks (pictured) (seriously)

Boston Baked Beans

Potato Chips

Witch's Brew

Gingerbread

(Clearly, this was done by committee, or else it's some one's version of a Trick.)

Crown Roast of Franks

4 cups saltine cracker crumbs

1/2 cup melted butter or margarine

1 can sauerkraut, drained

1 1/2 cups diced apples

2 tsp. caraway seed

1 1/2 pounds frankfurters (Yep, pounds)

Mix together cracker crumbs, butter, sauerkraut, apples and caraway seed. Shape into mound on baking pan. Stand frankfurters around stuffing, joining with cocktail picks near top. Bake in 375-degree oven for 40 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.

Now, unless my math is wrong - from this picture that's 3-4 frankfurters per person. That's no Treat.

2 comments:

Anne Marsan said...

Even my husband, who finds spaghetti-o's rather tasty, thinks this recipe is indeed pretty scary.

yabooklady said...

Eeek Amy,
this is that scary hotdog crown of yours is the very first thing to pop up on my new computer's very first internet spin. I hope you didn't break it! :)