Saturday, February 26, 2011

Floating Island

I see versions of 'Floating Islands' in many of my vintage cookbooks. I don't understand the appeal. Perhaps the interest in everything Hawaiian in the 1950's? To me, it looks like blobs of whipped cream. Is each supposed to be a serving?

These are both from the same Jell-O Dessert Time cookbook I blogged from on Thursday. The top photo is Vanilla Valentine:  Fill large serving dish with chilled Jell-O Vanilla Pudding.  Garnish with hearts and cubes cut from 1/2 inch layer of Jell-O. Kind of weird, but cute.

The caption on the bottom photo reads:  Floating island, the modern, quick way.
(As opposed to?)
Floating Island
Prepare Jell-O Pudding, any flavor, increasing milk to 3 1/2 cups.  Chill in covered bowl.  Beat slowly with rotary egg beater until smooth and creamy.  Turn into shallow serving dish and top with 'islands' of whipped cream.  Makes 6 servings. 
With Chocolate Pudding use whipped cream tinted pink and flavored lightly with peppermint extract.  Top with chocolate sprinkles, if desired.

Interesting.

2 comments:

Lynda K said...

You're right - that recipe turns up a lot! I found it in one of my Mom's old cookbooks from the 1930s!! I wonder when it became "the thing" to serve??? :)

Thanks for another great post!

Rachel said...

This floating island is great. I'll try this at home